Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Forum helpdesk

Previous :: Next  
Fionan Post number 1236 Posted: 17th March 2008     Subject: Avatar upload disable?
Hi,

I created an avatar to be used with this forum (all the fora I'm subscribed to, actually).
The Avatar Control Panel doesn't allow me to upload the image, I can either choose an existing avatar from the gallery, or paste an URL. Has avatar uploading been disabled on the server?

Fionan
Merlin Sythove Post number 1240 Posted: 17th March 2008     Subject:
That is correct, avatar uploading is not supported on this forum. There are many free picture sites around where people can upload their images, and then link to them using a URL. Or you can select an avatar from the supplied galleries.
PP Post number 1244 Posted: 17th March 2008     Subject:
I have a free account at http://photobucket.com/ where I have my avatar(s) and those of a few other people. If you don't feel like opening an internet photo album just to be able to use your own avatar, you can send the picture to me by email and I can put it in mine and send you the link you can use.
Fionan Post number 1248 Posted: 17th March 2008     Subject:
Thank you for your kind offers.
I'll store my avatar either on my server at home, or on a domain that is included with my DSL contract.
I was just concerned that there is a bug in the system because the description and the layout made it possible that the entire file upload block was missing.
MoonDancer Post number 1268 Posted: 18th March 2008     Subject:
Well, I just tried to link to my avatar on my own website... and it comes back saying the URL is not valid. Is there a HELP file here somewhere where I can look up the requirements, if any?

Petra
Merlin Sythove Post number 1270 Posted: 18th March 2008     Subject:
Please post the URL here
MoonDancer Post number 1294 Posted: 19th March 2008     Subject:
Well, this is the one I tried yesterday. But I actually want to use a more recent picture *lol*... so I'll change it again once I know how it works

http://www.laue-bentz.de/html/petra_s.html
Merlin Sythove Post number 1295 Posted: 19th March 2008     Subject:
That is not a URL of an image but a URL of a HTML page. Image URL's end in GIF or JPG for example.

The image on the HTML page that you give is
http://www.laue-bentz.de/assets/images/me_at_work.JPG

(It would be too large to use as an avatar and it looks like it is encoded wrongly, but since it is an example that doesn't matter)

External images will be scaled to fit this forum layout, but if the image is large, it will load slowly and will slow down any pages that your avatar appears on for other people. So choose a picture that is fairly small to start with, ideally 120 x 80 pixels width/height.
MoonDancer Post number 1446 Posted: 26th March 2008     Subject: Another try
http://www.myspace.com/gala2903

I understood that if I have a picture on a server, this should work. Since I currently have problems updating my personal website, I opened an account on MySpace.
This is not an image URL, again - any further information? There's the picture - but now what?

Sorry, I feel stupid...

Petra
Fionan Post number 1449 Posted: 26th March 2008     Subject:
Hello Petra,

a single page on a website is a file contain text and HTML commands for text formatting.
If there's an image on a page this image has to be included using the correct HTML command. The web browser understands this commands and loads the image. For this purpose the web browser needs to know where the image resides. This is the image location or Image URL. When you open your webpage you see your image on the left side.
The Image URL is hidden, but available to the browser. You can obtain it by right clicking on the image. In your web browser, there should be something like "Copy Image Location" (English Firefox). Since I don't use a german Firefox (and no Internet Explorer, regardless of language [Wink]) I can't help you with the proper translation here.

But I can help you with image URL anyway: It's http://a654.ac-images.m ... 44886525.jpg
(Sorry, the "Link" is inserted automagically by the forum.)

So if I use this with the IMG-Command here, I get:

Please note that this image exceeds the resolution required for the avatar. It's 170x226 pixels big, but the forum accepts only 120x80 pixels.
I cropped the image to match the resolution. I'll send you the result as private message.

Christian
MoonDancer Post number 1451 Posted: 26th March 2008     Subject:
I'm just an old witch... but you're a computer magician [Laughing]

Vielen vielen Dank - das hat mich eben echt an Grenzen geführt hier... verstehen tu ich's immer noch nicht so ganz...

Petra
MoonDancer Post number 1454 Posted: 26th March 2008     Subject: Just testing
Still working on that Avatar...
Fionan Post number 1457 Posted: 26th March 2008     Subject:
That looks much better. [Smile]
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Forum helpdesk
Show YouTube films