Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Filestore?

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Forum helpdesk

Previous :: Next  
Kim Dent Brown Post number 1500 Posted: 27th March 2008     Subject: Filestore?
Is there an option on the forum for a filestore where people can upload resources? (Similar to the facility at Yahoo!) I ask because this thread of welcome has moved on to a discussion of the possibility. The idea is to have a kind of international library of ritual and other texts which people could post, and which those with translation skills could translate into other languages. It feels like some kind of filestore would be the most user-friendly way of navigating this, rather than searching discussion threads. Is this (a) feasible and (b) desirable? And if the answer to either is 'no', maybe we could use some pages elsewhere on the PFI website to do this?

Kim
Debo Post number 1505 Posted: 27th March 2008     Subject:
and for the time being, we could just have a small section of the forum where to post our shared texts.

Hvis et egern kan gøre det, så kan du også !
my music: http://www.myspace.com/askmypsychiatrist
Merlin Sythove Post number 1509 Posted: 27th March 2008     Subject:
Although the forum wasn't designed for it, it has plenty of options for people to create topics where for example people only put their ritual texts, possibly without further discussion - discussion can then be done in another topic. It also has options to allow everyone to edit a post, making collaboration possible, and it has the option to create user groups and special interest forums with various possible view/read/write settings - for example all forum members can read, only group members can write.

The drawbacks of a forum are that the formatting options are limited. Although this forum DOES have a style selection box, and for layout purposes that is more than ample, plus it guarantees legibility even on different (and future) templates. Another drawback is that it is not a simple point and click operation to upload a file that you have for example in Word. On the positive side, if you put the texts on the forum, they are searcheable with the search function, something that you cannot achieve by uploading alone.

So there are definite pro's and con's for both uploading and for using the forum to publish texts.

My completely personal take on the matter is that a forum is for discussion and possibly collaboration, which means that file uploading is not a necessity. A repository of for example ritual texts, is another function than a forum. Which also brings the question of copyright laws, something few people know well, but the PFI must honour.

(I'm not speaking for the PFI by the way, these are just my personal observations. As the software developer I realise that adding file uploading capacities to the forum may turn out to be a major job, and that the web space that this may require may also be extensive).

B*B
Merlin

Beauty matters
MoonDancer Post number 1525 Posted: 28th March 2008     Subject:
I like Kim's idea and being a member of several forums I have to say that - no offense to you, of course - this one is a little, hm, let's say limited - speaking as a new User with no real idea of what's involved with running such a forum, mind you. For example, I wrote a two-page article on the conference which I would love to upload here - but how, where? I can't post that on the forum, it's too much. And the newsletter is still weeks away, at best.

And also being one of the resident translators I can see this forum growing simply by adding translations - a critical item and of course something that will push the forum's capacities much more than my current German-only forums have to deal with. But if we want the PFI and the forum to grow and become something truly all-encompassing, we may have to think about such things for the near future.
Merlin Sythove Post number 1526 Posted: 28th March 2008     Subject:
For longer articles the correct place is of course the newsletter, and possibly the local language (german) PFI web site. The forum itself wasn't meant to be a filing cabinet, although it serves its purpose for discussing if and how we want a filing cabinet somewhere [Very happy]

Quote:
 And also being one of the resident translators I can see this forum growing simply by adding translations - a critical item and of course something that will push the forum's capacities much more than my current German-only forums have to deal with. But if we want the PFI and the forum to grow and become something truly all-encompassing, we may have to think about such things for the near future.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking of translating the forum interface language, like we recently added Portuguese? Or are you talking about translating articles or ritual texts? Or are you talking about adding other language forums to the forum?

As for size and speed, you don't need to worry. My own forum (using the master copy of this software) has about 260.000 messages on it and the database is about 180Mb. And there are forums much larger than my own too. This forum by contrast only has like a good 1000 messages and a 3Mb database. But you won't notice any difference in speed, or any indication that you are "pushing the forum's capacities" - nobody needs to worry about that, not even when it gets 200 times as big as it is now [Very happy]

B*B
Merlin

Beauty matters
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Forum helpdesk
Show YouTube films