Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Goddess Timeline - Constance Tippett

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Pagan Resources

Previous :: Next  
Morgana Post number 24859 Posted: 30th August 2018     Subject: Goddess Timeline - Constance Tippett
Goddess Timeline
Constance Tippett, Published on 30 Mar 2014

Images of women, in all stages of life, representing central roles in early culture, are precursors of the named goddesses in historical religions,
with vestiges even in modern day Madonna figures.
The Goddess Timeline traces goddess imagery back through 30,000 years of history and prehistory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0gEh1xpjg
OrdoTenebris Post number 25177 Posted: 29th November 2018     Subject:
Extremely informative and useful video, watched it a couple of years ago but glad to stumble upon it on paganfederation again here today! The feminine mother is both the manifest primordial chaos out of which all things emanate from, but she is also the "Maya", the order that forms the structure. The male is but the inert and unmanifest. Shiva without Shakti is "Shava" or, corpse.

Inana and Lilith seem to be the flip aspects of the same being: https://www.tantricpagans.com/female-demon-lilith/

Interestingly, the primordial feminine and the occult maps that lay on them, seems to be also be useful to think of what all forms of objects and lifeforms are, including spirits. It is little wonder how everything occult and mystical seems to tie to the feminine mother [Smile]

I highly recommend Kali Kaula a manual for tantrick magick by Jan fries for anyone who hasn't gone through it. The author has made incredible connections with the various primordial goddesses and has some really useful bibliography posted at the end.
Kono Loki Post number 25179 Posted: 29th November 2018     Subject:
Seems a tad far fetched to me...

Whats next?, ''proof'' of an ancient amazonian matriarchy where men where slaves and women had all the power? 😑
Jay Brafeha Post number 25203 Posted: 2nd December 2018     Subject:
Thanks for posting this video, @Morgana! The timeline was really well done (if I had room for posters, wouldn't mind that on a wall), and was an interesting lay-person's overview of some of the different ideas across time regarding goddess iconography. For me, the idea that women may have been the first keepers of calendars was really interesting! And (though not discussed directly in the video) the proportional timeline itself gives a good appreciation for how short the more recent "male-only" approach to deity has been relative to human existence.

Kono Loki wrote:
 Whats next?, ''proof'' of an ancient amazonian matriarchy where men where slaves and women had all the power? 😑

I'm curious if you watched the video. I think this line from the film is a particularly useful response:

Quote:
 Gimbutas wrote that these early societies may have been matrilineal, egalitarian, cooperative communities who honored the sacredness of the feminine, but indeed not to the exclusion of the masculine.

While we do have evidence of several cultures where men hold most of the power to the exclusion of women, I don't think I've heard an anthropologist, historian, or even scholarly pagan claim that the reverse is true. In fact, most evidence seems to point to, when a culture is matrifocal it generally distributes societal power relatively evenly. This line, however, is a minor footnote to the rest of the video, and not particularly relevant to the main message of the video. I encourage you to quote things from the video that you agree or disagree with, and link to other sources if you have different knowledge than what is presented in the video.

Of course, if your intent is to have fun as a troll, please ignore the food I just left in this thread. [Very happy] If you're interested in having a meaningful discussion, though, please engage directly with what the video is saying.
ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25205 Posted: 3rd December 2018     Subject: Jay
Jay,
Kono Loki has had some bad experiences with three women in Wicca that has left him a bit gun shy about the idea of women in positions of Power. Abuse does that to people male or female.

Wisdom is what is left after you have done all the dumb stuff
Kono Loki Post number 25211 Posted: 6th December 2018     Subject: Re: Jay
Christopher,
Not all women, just the idea that ONLY women are in positions of power, rather than simply the most qualified people.
😊

I really HATE yin and yang, especially because it's true.
ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25214 Posted: 7th December 2018     Subject: Kono, how do we determine who is the most qualifed
Kono,

In a Patriarchy like ours, it is the men who determine who is qualified and rarely will they ever consider that a women is more qualified. Almost all the math for the atomic bomb and the space race before the use of computers were done by groups of women. With the first computers, the early computer figures were checked for accuracy by women mathematicians. Same for the code breakers, most of the math was done by women. Yet you rarely hear about.

We have to wonder how much of the famous theories by Einsten might have been the work of his wife. When you think of early studies about radioactive materials, most of it was done by Madam Currie, most credit was given to her husband.

All though history of man dominated civilizations, men have rarely allowed women to become artists, engineers, doctors, politicians, run business, be investors pilots, any kind of government official, or in the arts, the military inventors, be magicians and with the women have done it anyway the woman received any credit for their accomplishments. Yet though out history there have never been a shortage of women with the necessary ability and skills. Women have always been half or more to the population but yet history as we are taught in school is almost always about men, rarely does a occasional woman mentioned. History as taught is literally His Story. This creates a complete distortion of what real history was.

I'm sorry for the abuse that you suffered, but I am always going to encourage women not depend on men to get them anywhere or anything. Women need to go as far as they can in any field of their interest.

Kono Loki Post number 25218 Posted: 7th December 2018     Subject: Re: Kono, how do we determine who is the most qualifed
Christopher,
Agreed!

I just do not want to be belittled by frustrated feminists again, it is not my fault women were oppressed for so long. [Wink]

ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25219 Posted: 7th December 2018     Subject: Kono
I am not downgrading what you went through, abuse is abuse. But one way to treat frustration is for us men to become allies of women and help them gain a fair share of what they want, not frustrated women can make powerful allies to us men. One result might be that we would also have fewer frustrated men as well. Keeping us divided, frustrated frustrated keeps us from discovering our true power and our rulers in power.

Christopher

Kono Loki Post number 25220 Posted: 8th December 2018     Subject: Re: Kono
Christopher,
Sure, equal opportunitiesand and all. (Rather than a Goddess based Matriocracy)

But i am not giving any of my spiritual energy to strangers.

ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25224 Posted: 10th December 2018     Subject: Kono
Kono,
I don't recall anyone asking for any of your energy.

Christopher

Kono Loki Post number 25228 Posted: 10th December 2018     Subject: Re: Kono
Christopher,

I thought that is what you meant by giving their fair share, my bad, no harm done.

ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25229 Posted: 10th December 2018     Subject: Kono
Kono,
Energy should only be given voluntarily.

Christopher

Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Pagan Resources
Show YouTube films