Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Rain, Duck Races, and batches of Quail Babies

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Off topic

Previous :: Next  
ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25804 Posted: 10th August 2019     Subject: Rain, Duck Races, and batches of Quail Babies
Rain, Duck Races, and batches of Quail Babies.

There was a pretty good rain during the night. I can tell by the number, and the size, of the puddles, especially on my north end gate, where I have to open it without getting my feet wet. Puddles show that there was running water and that is rare enough in the desert. As a result it was cool this morning, almost chilly. Nice to be in the 60s again ad we are only supposed to get in the low 90s.

Tomorrow, we are supposed have a high of 88F. We also may get some more thunder storms. Whether we get any rain time still to tell, for rain can fall in widely scattered areas, that not always include my part of the desert. School buses also starting to show up.

One of the odd little festivals out here is our Duck Race and that is near the end of the month. I have mixed feelings about it and have never gone to watch it, because they have enclosed lanes with board tops. The Ducks are put in one end, then their owners try to get them to run to the other end. Once people used to raise and train their own Ducks, but one person did it so much that he basically won most of the races. So now the festival provide the Ducks to rent for the race. There are both dry and wet duck races.
The event was invented because August was a dead period between the Fourth of July, and the County Fair in September.

I am having to revise my idea of Quail having three batches of eggs a season. I am still seeing newly hatched Quail chicks. Newly hatched, they are so small that from a short distance, I cannot tell exactly what I am seeing until they run after their parents. Many animals have birth rates that vary according to what the food supply is. Needless to say the food supply is always in excess here. So it is possible that there are a good many more batches of eggs laid than I had supposed.

Christopher

Wisdom is what is left after you have done all the dumb stuff
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Off topic
Show YouTube films