Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Help, my links don't work!

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Forum helpdesk

Previous :: Next  
Merlin Sythove Post number 5833 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject: Help, my links don't work!
Help, my links don't work!

This forum contains code that will 'recognise' links in normal text and change them to proper links that you can click.
The problem is, that this forum also contains a lot of other code that does other things to your message.
Sometimes these two interfere. I am aware of the problem and will try to sort it out in due course.

Find the problem
If a link does not work or gets altered, this is probably because you use an unexpected character in the link, such as square brackets, spaces, normal brackets etc. You can translate such a character to its corresponding (hexadecimal) html code.

Another problem may be that parts of the link are translated by the forum as if it was normal text.
You can prevent this by changing one or more characters of that part of the link to their corresponding (hexadecimal) html code.

Translate the character
You can translate such a character to its corresponding (hexadecimal) html code.
For example, the space (ascii code 32) translates to hexadecimal '20' and the code then becomes %20, so with a leading % sign.

To find these codes, start this little program: C:\WINDOWS\system32\charmap. exe
Go to Start, select Run, type Charmap and press Enter.

It will give you a list of all characters. Click one, and look at the code in the status bar of that program.
If you click on the [square bracket, the code is U+005B. This stands for Unicode 005B. The code you want is the last half: 5B.

Insert %5B instead of the [bracket into the url, and your link will probably work.
That is all.

Beauty matters
Daan Post number 5834 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
Nope, didn't work, when i tried to change them with the charmap characters.

All precious things discovered late
To those that seek them issue forth, For love in sequel works with fate And draws the veil from hidden worth.
Merlin Sythove Post number 5835 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
OK, paste the link here inside [code]....[/code] bbcode

Beauty matters
Daan Post number 5836 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
No, i had a brainwave, i probably need to use the link button/url-code (me and my big mouth) [Laughing]

To those that seek them issue forth, For love in sequel works with fate And draws the veil from hidden worth.
Daan Post number 5838 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
Nope, didn't work either, but it worked on silver circle though.

I will try to copy/paste the code.

you mean like this: (btw everyone is allowed to laugh at me and make fun of me [Laughing])

Code:
http://www.religionswissenschaft.uzh.ch/inderdaad/prepublications/

Merlin Sythove Post number 5839 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
i d d gets changed to 'inderdaad' since those changes to the message are global and will also change things in links and bbcode. That is the interference I mentioned. I will resolve this problem some time.

Beauty matters
Sophia Boann WellofWisdom Post number 5841 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
Hi Merlin,
The problem that I had the other day was that spaces were added in my URL that I had not put there.
In the preview mode it was fine, but when I actually posted the message, spaces appeared within the URL (http://www.forum . paganfederation. org/viewtopic. php? t= 1210.) It was a link within the PFI site.

Just checking now if the bug is no longer there!

German 'Venus' may be oldest yet

Edit:
Okay, no idea why it went wrong last wek, but it seems to be working fine now [Smile]
Merlin Sythove Post number 5851 Posted: 9th June 2009     Subject:
The forum attempts to clean up interpunction and if a link is not recognised as a link, this may happen and explain spaces after full stops. But why the link was not recognised, is a mystery since your link seems to work fine [Very happy]

Beauty matters
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Forum helpdesk
Show YouTube films