Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Dealing with illness - sharing experiences

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Community Circle

Previous :: Next  
Morgana Post number 24164 Posted: 19th January 2018     Subject: Dealing with illness - sharing experiences
Dealing with illness - sharing experiences

How does one deal with a partner/friend/son or daughter with Cancer? Or illness and disabilities in general?

Many people find comfort in sharing and processing traumatic experiences by writing things down. Keeping a diary and so on, also helps.

How have you dealt with traumatic experiences?

Please share here.

Bright Blessings
Morgana
Morgana Post number 24165 Posted: 19th January 2018     Subject: Nipples to Kneecaps: To Die or Not to Die with Cancer
Nipples to Kneecaps: To Die or Not to Die with Cancer
by Mandy Brown

'Nipples to Kneecaps – To Die or Not to Die with Cancer' is the true, inspirational story of Steve, a man who seemed to have it all…until a cancer diagnosis threatened to take it all away.

Historians recall that the mid-1980s boasted big hair, loud music, and iconic Hollywood superstars. Mandy recalls,
“My dear girl, I have seen many a patient in my time and we cannot help Steve. At best he has three months to live…” Words that every partner dreads.

Mandy and Steve’s real-life journey throughout the ordeal of battling ‘terminal cancer’ captures how it shaped their lives, minds and spirits.

Three months to live. An unbelievable plan. A Lifetime of memories.

FOLLOW their INCREDIBLE journey.
REALISE what the human body is capable of.
GET READY TO LAUGH, CRY, AND BE INSPIRED.
DISCOVER an appreciation of the paranormal and their unusual and risky plan.

Follow this family’s amazing story and take inspiration from the day to day foibles of a family who chose never to give up on family, love and most importantly, on life.

Steve is alive today.

Kindle Edition, 171 pages
Published December 7th 2017 by Shoreline Publishing House
ASINB076F9G59C

See also: https://www.nipplestokn ... -to-Kneecaps
Alva More Post number 24172 Posted: 22nd January 2018     Subject:
I tend to invest in rituals and invocations as a main coping strategy for difficult situations.

The performing of a ritual has, in its core, the observance of laws and a order to maintain reality. This gives me comfort. After all, the main goal to ritualize is to connect, and these connection is a nurture to body, mind and soul.

Lets bring our community together and work as one Pagan conscience in the world!*
- Mariana Vital / Alva Möre - PFI Pagan Community Circle and PFI Interfaith Coordinator
LegnAkraD Post number 24189 Posted: 28th January 2018     Subject:
Very few years ago I had to live this situation. The basis for taking what has happened well has been my strength in understanding that the process of life makes sense with death, my requests in rituals so that my father is worthy of living without suffering, and understanding I am not able to change the situation, but yes to make a better path for my father.
Morgana Post number 24203 Posted: 31st January 2018     Subject:
Here is an interesting blog from Ludy... in Dutch

Een blog;
· waarin ik schrijf over mijn werkzame leven in Bergen op Zoom.

· over thema’s waar een ieder van ons, vroeg of laat mee te maken krijgt.

· over de dood die ieders leven craqueleerd met de schoonheid en glans van levenswijsheid.

· die je kunt volgen, over mee kan praten en waarop je kunt reageren. Jouw levenswijsheid delen.

http://www.jouwlevenmet ... n-pijn-doet/

http://www.jouwlevenmet ... n-pijn-doet/

Daar vind je onder de “nieuws” knop
· Datgene wat ik belangrijke informatie vindt
· En mijn agenda van de diverse activiteiten.

http://www.jouwlevenmetkanker.nl/nieuwsvanludyk/

Ik wens je veel leesplezier toe.
Ludy Hoogeveen

"Tussen Kerst en Nieuwjaar.
Een bijzondere inspirerende tijd om mijn blog, “Als het leven pijn doet”, te starten."

In de dagen na Nieuwjaar voelen veel mensen zich uitgedaagd om het komend jaar hun leven een andere wending te geven.
Om daar waar vorig jaar niet veel van terecht gekomen is nu maar eens te gaan ondernemen.
Goede voornemens staan soms te dringen om vooraan in de rij van gedachten te komen.
Nu moeten we maar eens…….

Of kunnen we onszelf moed inspreken om maar eens…….
Morgana Post number 24386 Posted: 9th April 2018     Subject:
This looks like a good website to connect to:

https://stickmancommuni ... cisions.html
Morgana Post number 24387 Posted: 9th April 2018     Subject: I need to recharge..
I need to recharge... [Very happy] [Very happy]

ChristopherBlackwell Post number 24588 Posted: 20th June 2018     Subject: It sort of depends on what you are going through?
Sometimes just surviving is all you can do.

May of 1993 I suddenly felt sick to the stomach, and began retching over and over, even after there was nothing to bring us. My stomach began to swell up and I was soon weak enough to collapse on to the floor. My partner made an emergency call and an ambulance was sent out, only to break don on the way. So it was nearly an hour later before the second one made it to my home, some ten miles from town I don't remember much of the ride, and was sort of in and out in the emergency room. Scans were made and blood taken for tests, but because of pain in my chest, I was transferred to a hospital some sixty miles away as they suspected I was having a heart attack and our local hospital did not have s surgeon. During the hour ride to the next hospital, tests results showed I instead had pancreatitis. This created an unfortunate situation at the second hospital as they had already called in a heart surgeon and he remained my main doctor throughout my stay. A heart surgeon called in and then discovers that he will not be doing surgery is not a happy doctor. and we never did get along. Meanwhile some scary hallucinations, made me afraid to sleep at night so I stayed awake all night and was out of it all day.

As a result I was not aware of most of what happened beyond four Cat Scans, nor my partner's visits. During the three weeks that I was there though he noticed so odd things. I was not allowed to eat or drinks fluids so everything came through two pumps an IVs. One day he noted redness around one of the IV, suggesting that it was not be changed ever 48 hours as required. Two weeks later, still unconscious, one of the pumps broke down and it's alarm brought an orderly who looked at me and the machine and unplugged it. When partner asked what he was doing, the orderly replied, "Well he is going to die anyway." Thus my partner had to get ah old of a State senator to see about getting me into the Veteran's Hospital nearly a hundred miles away, and my illness was not considered to be war related.

Once the order came through to transfer me there was the question of transport. As I had no medical insurance they would not medivac me out by helicopter, and even ambulance was questionable. So when I finally got a ride it was with neither saline solution IV, or antibiotics IVs. So I arrived at my third hospital in somewhat worse condition than I had started.

So the Veterans Hospital was the one that saved my life after many months, however even they tried to get me to go home a bit too early. first rip home I was so weak that after getting dressed and making breakfast, I was back in bed, so I had to fight my way back into the VA Hospital. A friend took me on the 225 mile trip back and we ran out of gas near an Indian Reservation, so he pulled off and had to walk to the nearest gas station n the Res., while Native police were wondering it they should take me to an emergency room, I said no that my friend would take me. It took four hours in the emergency room before they allowed me to come back in.

After that it was pretty much a repeat of several months and then at some point it was decided to release me again, but I knew I was in no shape to be home, so I demanded a nursing home until I got stronger. I had lost a lot of weight, from 210 pounds, to 139 pound. The first one, and nicer nursing home, decided not to take me so I ended up in the kind one hears horror stories about. Rolling Linoleum covered floors, painted concrete walls in a bare bit of ground in an industrial park right next to the Interstate, understaffed and they did not have physical training that I needed so I had to invent my own.

One thing they did have was Bingo games that the winner got a couple of quarters. Pocket money is a great rarity in a nursing home. One thing they do not have is decent and hot coffee. So that was what gave me an idea for my own Physical Training Program, walking.
At first that was only in the building, I was still weak. Then outside and then a block away, two blocks and so forth. I was not restricted to the building, just as long as I showed up for medications and mealtimes. Three blocks way I found my first cafe and my first hot coffee.
As my night nurse was Wiccan, she let me know about three Goddess tapes that our local Public Broadcasting station at the local University was showing during their fund raising season. As I could dress and undress myself I had the whole of the TV room to myself and watched. That set my next goal to someday make it to the University. One advantage that I had over most patients was that I had worked at a nursing home and studied what patients did that functioned and knew the limits of what the staff could do. So I never complained about something that they could do nothing about.

A couple of weeks later I finally made the two mile trip to the university, went to the public Broadcasting station and asked to order the tapes. In spite of having no money one me they did so, and I sent for money from my parents. As I was pretty good at winning Bingo, I usually had pocket change so the university became my coffee stop and I would start my usual odd conversations with local students who did not seem to find my death warmed over look, nor clothing that might of reminded them of homeless people under the bridges. meanwhile the University had grass, trees and even a pond with ducks, and fish to watch. So the University supplied me with the mental, physical exercise and some feeling of nature, which helped me to eventually be strong enough to leave and go back home. Still if was three more years before I dared to make an appointment for the next week.

Meanwhile I had learned some important lessons, how to accept conditions that I could not change, developed a sense of humor, and to search out, and note the smallest of good things every day, even if that was only that the bad thing was not quite as bad as I had expected. Now twenty-five years later, even with more disabilities and health issue, I find myself a rather cheerful old geezer, something that I could not have imagined as a young man often angry, frustrated and depressed by being Bi-Polar. So even our worst situations can bring us rewards of learning how to enjoy life however it may be.

But as I need laughter every day, that is the reason for the seventeen pounds of bird seed and four gallons of water a day that put across the driveway for the birds, and other desert critters. That guarantees that I can usually look out my window any time during the day, and see some critters doing something that will make me laugh each day. Life does not always bring you laughter, so sometimes you simply have to arrange for it. Works for me.

Wisdom is what is left after you have done all the dumb stuff
Morgana Post number 24950 Posted: 23rd September 2018     Subject: A Blueprint When Feeling Blue...
A Blueprint When Feeling Blue: How A Mental Health Diagnosis Can Be Empowering

When First Impressions are the Worst Impressions
The first time you ever heard the term “mental illness”, what did you think of? I can tell you what I thought of.

I was in the beginning of high school the first time I recall hearing this term. At the time, associated it with people who were unstable. I thought of people who were violent or adults who had tantrums or isolated old women who never left the house. I thought of mental illness as something that was permanent, something that individuals “had” and couldn’t recover from. Even though de-institutionalization was prevalent by that point, I still thought of people who have long stays at psychiatric wards and pictured them mumbling to themselves in a straight jacket.

Ironically, I was going through my own struggles with mental illness at the time. I didn’t call it mental illness then. I would go back and forth between feeling anxious and depressed, but I thought it was teen angst and aloofness. But was I mentally ill? My 16-year-old self would say “No way. I’m not crazy. ” (Whatever “crazy” means…)
(read on... )
https://www.jenreviews.com/mental-health-diagnosis/
Jochem Post number 25664 Posted: 29th May 2019     Subject: Pagans with disabilities in the Netherlands
In the Netherlands we are in the process of starting a Dutch network for pagans with disabilities and chronic illnesses.

At the PFI-NL Spring Gathering Soleil & Jochem gave the workshop "Dis_spelling disability: inclusiveness as a matter of fact". It was good to talk with each other about paganism & accessability, about what pagans with disabilities have to offer to our community, etc. And the general concensus was we need to keep talking about these sort of topics!

Anyone interested in this netwerk can email to Soleil & Jochem at: soleil::at::paganfederation.org for more info.

We will keep you updated in Community Circle> PF Pagans with Disabilities and in the Dutch section of this forum.
Lindenheart Post number 25749 Posted: 17th July 2019     Subject:
In reply to Morgana's post about mental health, I have to say that I was diagnosed with depression, panic attacks and anxiety. I'm on medication, I've had group therapy and seen a therapist (and am actually looking for a new one at the moment). Here in Germany we have a pretty good health care system and most things are being paid for by my health care provider/insurance company but as I've been living with the diagnosis since 2015, I've come to realize that - at least for me - there is something missing in all the treatment plans and that is the spiritual element. Do you have any tips of how to use your spiritual path to help with mental illness? Any experiences of living with mental illness?
Jochem Post number 25791 Posted: 1st August 2019     Subject: Spirituality & therapy
Hi Lindenheart,

I needed some time to think about your questions. To me, this is a new topic, as I never had the wish to combine therapy and spirituality. I don't have a mental illness, but I do have a physical disability due to a chronic illness. And I have had my fair share of therapy, for different reasons.
After thinking some time about your questions, I came to the conclusion I can't add anything useful to this discussion. Still, I wanted you to know that you made me think about this (thanks for that! [Smile]). I hope others are able to add more useful comments.
If you could give us an update somewhere in the future I would appreciate that. Take care!
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Community Circle
Show YouTube films