Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Special report on the events at Mauna Kea

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => News

Previous :: Next  
ChristopherBlackwell Post number 25777 Posted: 26th July 2019     Subject: Special report on the events at Mauna Kea
Editorial Note: Earlier this week, The Wild Hunt covered the current developments at Mauna Kea. Today, we share an an in-depth special report on the events at Mauna Kea. Our lead author is Amy Marsh who is a polytheist oathed to Loki, and a long-time observer and long-distance ally of the struggle to protect Mauna Kea. She blogs at Lady of the Lake.

“You build that telescope, it’s eighteen stories! More important than that, the footing will be seven stories, which will impact the watershed which feeds this island…For our future generations, please…please…”

[Mauna Kea Kia`i (protector) addressing Hawai`i’s Lt. Governor, Josh Green, M. D., during his visit to Pu`uhonua o Pu`u Huluhulu, a place of refuge at the junction of Saddle Road and the Mauna Kea Access Road, Monday July 22.]

MAUNA KEA – Kanaka Maoli (native Hawaiians) and their allies—known as Kia`i—are making a peaceful stand against the proposed construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on the top of their most sacred mountain.

The proposed TMT is eighteen stories high, with a footing dug seven stories deep into the ground and 1.5 acres wide.

The amount of force used to remove this amount of soil and rock may cause damage to the island’s aquifer and watershed. The aquifer consists of an ice-age glacier and water trapped in porous lava. It sits directly under the telescope sites.

Contrary to popular views of astronomy as a clean science, the island’s aquifer has already suffered mercury contamination and other toxic spills from existing telescopes.
--------------------------snip--------------------------------
Sacred Mauna Kea

Mauna Kea, the largest mountain in the world when you consider its roots at the base of the ocean, is also the holiest mountain in all of Hawai`i. It is an ancestor to the Kanaka Maoli (native Hawaiians), literally an ancestor.

Kanaka Maoli spiritual traditions are not monolithic. There are family and community variations from island to island, from ahupua`a (district) to ahupua`a. And in Hawai`i, most of the gods have the property of “kinolau” — they can manifest in many bodies and forms. And people may worship different aspects of a deity, according to their personal and family traditions or their professions.

Some people focus on the “sacred place” aspect of Mauna Kea, a place of the highest kapu (sacredness) calling for exemplary behavior during ceremony. As a “place” it is also a home for other deities: Poli`ahu (snow), Lilinoe (mist), Waiau (Mauna Kea’s lake), Houpo o Kane (a spring), and Kukahau`ula (red-tinged snow).

Others commune with the Mauna as their mother, or as their elder brother—like the kalo (taro) plant, also said to be an elder brother. Mauna Kea is also the piko (navel) of Hawai`i island, the first child of Wākea, the Sky Father, and Papahānaumoku, the Earth mother. All the islands are born of these two parents.

https://wildhunt.org/20 ... una-kea.html

Wisdom is what is left after you have done all the dumb stuff
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => News
Show YouTube films