Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Pagan object identification

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Arts and crafts

Previous :: Next  
Derick Post number 27082 Posted: 26th June 2021     Subject: Pagan object identification
Hello everyone!

First post on these forums, I think I'm in the right place though!

So a few years back I bought an object from the family of an old mysterious man who had died. (Some said mafiosi others just an eccentric collector).

At first I thought it was a wiccan wheel of the year, but upon closer examination I am not entirely sure. The tridecagram is what put douvts inmy mind as I have never seen or heard about it being used in any religion or such.

The "plate" has 364 small bumps in a circular motion around the tridecagram, and between each two of the 13 points of the tridecagram are 28 of those bumps. Which led me to believe that it was 364 days divided into 13 months of 28 days, being a pagan calendar of some sort. It is 2 feet wide.

I would appreciate if any of you couldgive me some input and maybe contribute to my understanding of what it is exactly.

It is very heavy and visibly forged by hand. Google search by image yields nothing alike.

Can't figure out how to put an image, doesn't work, so I put a link hoping it works now... I'm far from being an IT lol
Morgana Post number 27083 Posted: 26th June 2021     Subject: Introduction
Hallo Derick,

Before you starting posting please introduce yourself under

INTRODUCTIONS

Thanks,
Morgana
Derick Post number 27085 Posted: 26th June 2021     Subject:
My bad. I am now introduced. [Smile]

I was so eager to have people's feedback hehe
Derick Post number 27086 Posted: 26th June 2021     Subject:
I received a reply from Mr. Ronald Hutton, leading authority on medieval and contemporary paganism and magic, among other subjects, and this is what he had to say:

"Dear Mr Tardif,

Thank you for your letter. I can reply, but not I fear with anything useful to say, because I have never seen anything like your object. The mixture of the pentagram and the calendar suggests that it might be Masonic in origin, as both the pentagram and solar imagery were very important in Freemasonry from the eighteenth century onward... Certainly it does not correspond to any specifically Wiccan symbolism.

With every good wish,

Ronald Hutton"

I am not entirely convinced by his idea of it being of masonic origin(although the idea delights me), but this is certainly a new direction for me to look into. I am very excited by the fact that he has never seen anything like it before, even though I was writing to him to know what it was. Haha
Morgana Post number 27088 Posted: 27th June 2021     Subject:
I made a screen shot of it...

It doesn't seem to be on internet... in general.
It reminds me however of things I have seen in Tunisia, Morocco and Turkey.
Hammered brass trays used for serving tea... or even table tops... combining the pentagram and other islamic imagery.

Do you own the one you have featured?

Bright blessings,
Morgana
Derick Post number 27089 Posted: 27th June 2021     Subject:
Yes I still own it!

I also saw these morroccan plates while searching by images, but I don't think they are related, as mine is clearly a pagan calendar of some sort.

I wrote to the Great Lodge of freemasonry of my area. Hoping to hear from them soon.

I have written to a wiccan shop, to get input from different sources, and they claimed that it was a circle of protection using the pentagram and flower of life, and would be called antakarana. But so far my research on this claim has not yielded any link whatsoever. So I am skeptical, but will still dig a little bit more before abandoning this track.
Milkam Post number 27198 Posted: 4th September 2021     Subject:
I own a similar one, and it's just a (Moroccan style) plate. I can't identify any particular that would suggest its use as a calendar. To me, it would make a beautiful offering late on the altar.

Panentheist, Neoplatonist, and Henoteist.
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Arts and crafts
Show YouTube films