Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

"Heksenlessen voor Kinderen"

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Pagan Parenting

Previous :: Next  
Morgana Post number 20435 Posted: 1st March 2014     Subject: "Heksenlessen voor Kinderen"
On the Facebook page of PFI Lage Landen there is a lively discussion about offering "lessons in witchcraft for children".

See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PFILageLanden/

The core of the discussion is whether it is responsible to offer such lessons (email correspondence for EUR 65) for children?

What do you think?

How can we help our children if they want to know more about paganism/wicca?

Bright Blessings,
Morgana
Jana Post number 20436 Posted: 1st March 2014     Subject:
'Such' lessons? What is the content of those lessons? That would make a big difference to me. I would not support lessons 'in witchcraft' for children, but lessons 'about witchcraft' are something else. Lessons about the seasons, the rhythm of the year, would be a good idea.
Jana Post number 20438 Posted: 1st March 2014     Subject:
The 'if they want to know' is also crucial for my opinion. Don't force lessons in/about witchcraft on children that are not interested.
Morgana Post number 20439 Posted: 1st March 2014     Subject:
Here is the link to the web shop... yes it is a commercial undertaking.

http://www.mijnwebwinke ... or-kinderen/

You can see examples of the pages of one of the lessons but it's very difficult to read it.

But it is based on the correspondence course offered to adults:

"Veel kinderen vinden hekserij ook interessant, zéker wanneer hun ouders ook met hekserij bezig zijn!
Wil je jouw kind(eren) leren wat hekserij inhoudt? Schrijf hem/haar dan in voor de 'Heksenlessen voor kinderen'.
Daarbij krijgen ze (net als bij de Schriftelijke Jaartraining Hekserij voor volwassenen) 13 ma(a)n(d)en lang een Heksenles thuis gestuurd
vol informatie en oefeningen om thuis praktisch met hekserij aan de slag te gaan.

Vanaf Maart 2014 zijn de lessen klaar en kan je je hiervoor inschrijven. De kosten zijn €5,- per les. Je kunt je elke maand inschrijven en
vanaf moment van inschrijving krijg je dan elke maand, 13 manen lang, een les van 4 A4tjes thuis gestuurd."

My main objection is that children are not adults and here you can see they are being treated in the same way.

Also how proficient is the teacher? What are her qualifications? Has she any pedagogical training?
What is the follow-up?
And more importantly... if something goes wrong such as the child starts having serious nightmares as a result of dabbling, who is responsible?

My view is that any lessons in witchcraft for children is "not done".
The initiated witches I know do not give any courses to minors (under 18's).

Of course I am not against helping children to have a greater understanding of the natural world or to appreciate the world of mythology and so on.
There are many things we as parents can do. We just don't call it witchcraft.

And if a child asks what a witch is surely we can explain that adequately?
There is enough literature to help adults if they are not fully versed in Wicca principles.

(See also helpful links here on this forum... )

Bright Blessings,
Morgana
Anne Post number 20506 Posted: 22nd March 2014     Subject: Boeken voor kinderen
Er zijn drie geweldig leuke boeken voor kinderen om ze kennis te laten maken met het paganistische gedachtengoed zonder het zo te noemen of de nadruk op hekserij te leggen. Het zijn de boeken Lentefeest, Zomeroogst en Winterlicht van uitgeverij Christofoor, auteurs Diana Monson en Maren Briswalter. Een aanrader voor als je kinderen bewust wilt maken van wat er in de verschillende seizoenen om hen heen in de natuur gebeurt en hoe ze daar ook voor zichzelf vorm aan kunnen geven.
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => Pagan Parenting
Show YouTube films